Position: Special Assistant
Position Type: Full-time
Reports to: President and COO
Location: Washington, DC
Millennial Action Project (MAP) has an immediate opening for a Special Assistant. This Special Assistant will provide administrative support to our President and leadership team, through management of calendars, coordination of travel, and maintenance of external communications. The Special Assistant serves an integral role in the day-to-day function of the Millennial Action Project and growth of the organization, and must be a team player able to professionally represent MAP with high-level stakeholders.
The Special Assistant will work closely with all members of the MAP team to further the organization’s mission and set the team up for success. The individual will compile briefings for meetings and ensure MAP leadership is prepared ahead of commitments. The Special Assistant will address correspondence and organize official meetings and events, serve as a liaison between MAP and external partners, as well as oversee the tracking of our organizational success metrics. The Special Assistant will also be responsible for overseeing and implementing tracking documents and necessary follow up for meetings and donor relations. Additional responsibilities include producing talking points for external engagements, assisting the COO with administrative support.
The Millennial Action Project has an audacious mission: make political cooperation a norm through Millennial leadership. MAP is a national, nonpartisan organization dedicated to activating millennial policy makers to cooperatively govern our country. In 2013, MAP organized the nation’s first and only caucus for young members of Congress, the “Congressional Future Caucus,” to forge pragmatic cooperation on future-oriented challenges. MAP also scaled this model into nearly 20 state legislatures, each with a Future Caucus consisting of young, high-potential legislators. The national Advisory Board includes Senator Olympia Snowe, Senator BIll Bradley, Governor Jon Huntsman, Jr., Governor Jennifer Granholm, and Congressman Chris Gibson.
about the position
- Provide administrative support for the President and management team (e.g., scheduling, booking travel, processing reimbursements)
- Provide deeper-dive research and communications support for the President
- Address correspondence and organize official meetings and events; respond to inquiries from the public
- Perform other communications, research, and management tasks to support the President as needed
- Manage tracking documents related to meetings and donor communications, and drive necessary follow up actions when needed
- Assist with other tasks to support the organization more broadly (e.g., web site updates, event logistics and follow-up support, database management and upkeep)
- Perform other duties and research as assigned
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communications and research skills, with strong editing capacity
- In-depth familiarity with the legislative process, current events, and issues related to MAP’s work
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion
- Creative, entrepreneurial, and self-motivated attitude
- Experience putting on events and with scheduling preferred
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite required; familiarity with other software (e.g., NationBuilder, SquareSpace, photo or video editing software) a plus
- 1-2 years of relevant experience at either a staff or intern level
- Familiarity with non-profits
- Sincere commitment to MAP’s mission of working across party lines
- Bachelor’s degree
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. Some travel may be required.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. Highly competitive benefits provided, including commuter benefits, 401k program, open vacation policy, and comprehensive health benefits. Fun company culture and weekly breakfasts and lunches provided!
how to apply
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Application deadline of October 31st, 2017.
MAP is an equal opportunity employer. Reference checks are conducted on all prospective new hires.